Thursday, June 28

day 3


ocean
Originally uploaded by lawatt
I actually didn't take any photos on day 3 (june 9), so this one from day 2 will have to stand in -- we continued to sail fast through mostly 20-knot breezes, dodging squalls as best we could (it always seemed to rain only on David and my's watch) -- noontime location was 24° 52' 5" N, 154° 42' 8" W, and we'd covered 158 nautical miles -- only 1828 n.m. to go to SF!!

but I was not feeling super-well this day -- in retrospect, i chalk it up to adjusting to our 3-hours-on, 3-off schedule, as well as a bit of caffeine withdrawal -- it was often too much of a hassle to boil water for tea, and the one time I made some on watch, I couldn't sleep for my three hours off afterwards, so tea started to seem like a bad idea. but, the combination of no caffeine and only sleeping in 2.5-hour bursts made for a cranky out-of-sorts me.

putting my earphones on and singing along with my iPod while steering on my afternoon watch helped me feel better, though -- just like being on a road trip and singing loud to the car stereo! and David made us all delicious pasta for dinner, fusili with kale, onion, and peas. Mouse (Liisa) told me later that he asked her to hold the pot of boiling water steady, so it wouldn't spill, and she was absolutely terrified it wouls pour all over her -- the adventures of working in the galley! but the meal was delicious.

one word about meals: our skipper Tim is a fish-eating vegetarian, and while he didn't mind other people eating meat, we didn't want to fuss with separate meals, so we hardly brought any meat on the trip, just a few cans of tuna fish (not necessary, it turned out) and a dry salali or two. similarly, Tim doesn't drink, so David, Mouse and I brought three 12-packs of Tecate (roughly one per night per person), and a bottle of wine to celebrate the halfway point, but that was it.

No comments: